OPEN seeks a Product Manager for its Building Energy Benchmark software platform. This tool will help municipal staff and private portfolio managers to aggregate, understand, and enhance the energy performance of buildings in their sphere of influence. It will hit the market in Fall 2019.
The Product Manager will have core accountability for achieving and maintaining successful relationships with customers and users of OPEN’s Building Energy Benchmark software platform. This is rooted in the Product Manager’s accountability to ensure that initial and future versions of the platform offer unique value in addressing the business and mission purpose of the tool.
OPEN exists to reduce the energy and carbon footprint of buildings. Our software platforms provide building industry participants and regulators with the tools that they need to shape a low carbon future.
Governments and property owners across North America are working to reduce the energy and carbon impact of buildings. They first need insight into the actual energy performance of the buildings in their jurisdiction, which buildings are high or low performers, and how reductions can best be achieved. OPEN’s Building Energy Benchmark software platform is at the forefront of this wave, providing users with the program management, data analysis, and data visualization tools that they need to drive building innovation.
Qualifications and Experience
As a strong Product Manager candidate you:
- have leadership experience in bringing a new technical product to market – ideally in an enterprise context – and/or experience in managing an existing product through its early launch and development.
- have subject matter expertise in the green building and energy efficiency sectors, an understanding of the dynamic between stakeholders and a working knowledge of the key market drivers (regulatory, technological, and financial) affecting both that sector and the market potential for OPEN’s product offering.
- are well versed in key methodologies and practices in user research, user experience design, and software production; working with the technical and design teams, you will play a key role in understanding market and user insights and helping to translate those into valuable functional offerings.
- are an effective and empathetic people person, skilled and insightful in understanding the motivations and challenges of OPEN’s customers and users (in the government, property management, and property development sectors).
- may have formal project or product management training such as Scrummaster, Certified Scrum Product Owner or Project Management Professional certifications.
Key Responsibilities & Accountabilities
OPEN is well-timed and uniquely positioned to deliver a widely adopted benchmarking tool, and as Product Manager you will be accountable for realizing this opportunity. You will be accountable for product market fit, specifically for ensuring that the delivered product meets the functional needs of key users in version one and beyond.
As we pilot the product with six municipal clients and grow our client base you will:
- be the key point of contact and – with the OPEN development team – provide product roll-out support for the clients
- be accountable for collecting user feedback to refine our understanding of user needs and functional requirements
- be accountable for completing the product brand strategy
- with the Sales & Marketing Lead, be responsible for go-to-market plan and lead cultivation beyond the pilot clients.
On an ongoing basis you will:
- be accountable for securing new client accounts
- be responsible for tracking industry and regulatory trends impacting the product, its fundability, and its competitive landscape
- be accountable for client management, troubleshooting, and identification of enhanced features and functional requirements.
If this is you, please tell us!
Compensation and Benefits
The Product Manager will receive a base salary of $85,000 – $95,000 (commensurate with experience) and will be eligible to participate in OPEN’s benefits program after a three month probationary period.
OPEN is a young company that works out of a vibrant co-working space in Gastown, alongside other tech and green building companies. We strive to provide a flexible and accommodating work environment.
How can you apply?
Please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line Last Name, First Name, Product Manager.
1. A one-page resume showing relevant experience
2. A brief cover letter that explains how you meet the requirements and why you are interested in working with OPEN
OPEN strives to build a team that reflects the diversity of the communities we work in, and encourages applications from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in tech such as women, visible minorities, Indigenous persons, LGBTQ2 persons, and persons with disabilities.